Ancient astrologers divided the zodiac into twelve equal parts, naming each after a constellation in that area
of the sky. These twelve divisions make up the twelve signs of the zodiac. As the earth orbits the sun during the
year, the sun appears from earth to move along a line relative to the fixed stars. This line is called the ecliptic,
and the band that extends to about eight degrees either side of this line is the zodiac.
A horoscope is a prediction of someone's possible future based on the relative positions of these planets. It
can also be referred to as a diagram of the positions of the planets and signs of the zodiac at a particular time
Interpreting a horoscope involves consideration of the positions of the planets and the houses, and the angles
made by the planets to each other (aspects). The signs of the zodiac provide the framework in which the planets
By knowing the constellation that the sun was in at the time of birth, one can discover common charac teristics
to people born under a specific sun sign (also called your birth sign, or star sign). By charting the positions
of the planets, and their relationships to each other for a specific time period, one can reasonably predict some
things about the future. This is best done by a qualified astrologer who has studied the many factors that go into
creating an individual astrology chart.
Characteristics of the Sun Signs: The Elements
Each sun sign is assigned one of the principle elements of nature. These are:
- Fire - These signs tend to be lively, impetuous, aggressive, bright, and enthusiastic. They
are self sufficient and can become forceful and demanding with those around them.
- Air - These signs have quick minds and are gifted in abstract concepts, communications, reasoning,
intellect. They express themselves well and demonstrate good logic reasoning. They can sometimes be cold and impractical.
- Earth - These signs are matter of fact and controlled. The earth is solid matter, it is stable
and can be built upon.
- Water - Sensitive and intuitive, these signs have deep emotional feelings. They are receptive
and in tune with the environment in which they live, like a flowing water current.
There are three zodiac signs for each element:
Characteristics of the Sun Signs: The Qualities
Each sign has a quality assigned to it. The qualities are:
- Cardinal - initiative, movement, vitality
- Fixed - steadfastness, stability, earthiness
- Mutable - adaptable to changes in life, capable of guiding and influencing circumstances
Click on the sun signs to discover more about each sign along with its ruling planet, lucky numbers, colors,
symbol, flower, gemstone and primary characteristics.